Copper Toxicity

Dr. J.L. Goelz

Sheep are extremely sensitive to copper toxicity, more so than any other form of livestock. The source of the toxic levels of copper are usually feed or minerals that are formulated for cattle or swine that get fed to sheep by accident or out of ignorance.  Copper Sulfate foot baths are highly toxic if sheep are allowed to drink the solution or gain access to the bag of concentrate. We had one situation where sheep were turned into an abandoned feed lot which contained copper wire. Sheep licked the wire and toxicity occurred. Unless premixes or mineral mixes are specifically formulated for sheep they will have toxic levels of copper and should not under any circumstances be fed to sheep. A safe level of copper in sheep feed is between 7-11 ppm of diet dry matter. The mineral molybdenum interacts with copper and prevents its absorption from the gut. Thus, if feed have high levels of molybdenum (3ppm) less copper will be absorbed and copper levels up to 20 ppm can be fed. Conversely, if feed have low levels of molybdenum more of the copper that is present will be available for absorption. The copper to molybdenum ratios should be 6:1 in sheep rations. Ratios of greater than 10:1 will result in acute toxicity.

Clinical signs of toxicity include weakness, anorexia, trembling, fast breathing, red urine, yellow discoloration to the gums and white areas of the eyes, and unexpected death. The organs of toxicity are the liver, kidney and red blood cells. Your local veterinarian and Diagnostic Laboratory can assist you in confirming a copper toxicity diagnosis. Copper Toxicity occurs as a herd problem and several animals will be affected. Generally, once a sheep shows clinical signs, the toxicity is fatal and treatment is usually unrewarding. The stress of handling often will precipitate the clinical signs and the toxicity. D-penicillamine, a chelating agent has been reported to be effective at 50 mg/kg per head per day for 6 days. Ammonium tetrathiomolybdate injected under the skin at a dose of 3.4 mg/kg every other day for three treatments has also been effective. The cost and availability of both of these products may prohibit their use. Supplementation of 2-16 ppm of molybdenum in the ration has been useful in controlling outbreaks. Again, prevention is the key with copper toxicity.

 

About Ask-a-Vet Sheep

Veterinary services, procedures, biologicals, and drugs mentioned in this publication represent the personal opinions and clinical observations of the contributing author. They are in no way intended to be interpreted as recommendations without the consent of the producer’s own practicing Veterinarian. We strongly urge that producers establish a patient-client-veterinarian relationship that allows extra-label use when there are no drugs approved for treatment or if approved drugs are not effective. This procedure allows veterinarians to go beyond label directions when “prudent use” is necessary. The limited availability of drugs and biologics in this country is a major factor in restricting the growth of the sheep industry and allowing producers to compete in the world market place.
This entry was posted in 2013 Sheep Questions and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s